World-class fishing on our doorstep!
Our Marina offers easy access to Port Renfrew’s fishing grounds, some of the best fishing on Vancouver Island.
Port Renfrew Marina Fishing Report
Hot spots, hot gear, what’s new, photos. Email us your fishing photos and reports!
Over 40 Club
Our honour roll for lucky anglers who caught 40 pound plus salmon Port Renfrew Fishing Derbies
Find out about the famous Port Renfrew fishing derbies, and check out the stats from each year.
The Fishing Grounds
- Spring (king) salmon: 20-35 pound salmon regularly caught, with some 40-50 pound giants caught each year. 20 minutes from the Marina in Logan Creek – Camper Creek, up to 1.5 hours to Nitinat Narrows (June-Sept).
- Coho (silver) salmon: acrobatic fighters up to 28 pounds, minutes out of Port Renfrew Marina (Sept-Oct).
- Halibut: bountiful chickens (15-25 pounds), turkeys (25-50 pounds), and the occasional “barndoor” up to 200 pounds; 1 hour to Swiftsure Bank (April-Sept).
- Ling cod, black cod: Swiftsure Bank, 1 hour. (April-Sept).
- Steelhead and salmon on fly in Gordon River, San Juan River, & Harris Creek, minutes from the Marina.
- Online fishing licenses: get yours before you arrive. They can only be purchased online now and may be nowhere in Port Renfrew to buy one.
- Read the Port Renfrew Marina fishing report for current information, or come by and ask in the store.
- Marina store sells fishing supplies, hot food, ice, and gasoline, diesel, and marine fuel.
- Arrival information for US Visitors arriving by boat
- Canadian catch limits: Port Renfrew (Area 20). Swiftsure Bank (Area 121).
- River access only navigable mid-high tide (3 foot plus). Check your tide charts.
- Safety first! Port Renfrew is an open ocean west coast port, subject to unpredictable weather and shipping traffic. Ensure you have all navigation and safety gear in good working order.