Fishing is nothing short of FANTASTIC at Port Renfrew Marina right now! Chinook fishing is as good as it gets. Limit catches and tyee size salmon are still hitting the docks every day. We are seeing up to 4 springs a day over 40 pounds and this trend should continue well into September. Anchovies and teaser heads in the Purple Flash UV, Chrome Tiger Prawn and Purple Haze seem to be the hot lures right now. The weather lately has been close to perfect, very calm seas for the most part and very little of that August fog we usually get. Check out the list of notable catches, it really says it all especially since we couldn't possibly get them all recorded. Coho are still out at Swiftsure and are growing larger daily. There should be lots of Coho over the 20 pound mark by next month. Desi Hatchard of viciousfishcharters caught what we believe to be a possible record of a 26 pound hatchery Coho this past week at the Bank along with a spectacular catch of other salmon and halibut. See pic.
Chicken Halibut are at the J bouy right now. Someone soon will start anchoring for the "barn doors" as they haven't been targeted for quite a while. HALIBUT REGULATIONS UPDATE: as of August 21, the daily limit has been increased to 2 per day. Possession limit remains 2 in total.
Crabbing has slowed down as usual for this time of year but if you are persistent you will get them.
- Desi Hatchard of Vicious Fish Charters 26 pound Hatchery Coho!
- Norm Ricketts 33 Dan Burkmar 30
- Adam Dorey 30 Marty Husten 30 33
- Darren Daly 30 Wayne Fowler 38 40
- Brad MacDonald 40 Corey Kovacs 42
- Grant Graver 31 Ian Batty 32 32 39
- Bud Watt 32 Mark Collicott 31
- Neil Hansen 36 Al Auringer 38 41 on his Birthday!
- John Raynak on Ace of Kings Charters 40 Brian Lee 36
- Clayton Wright 30 Dave Tobacco 35
- Victoria Grady on No Banana's Charters 32 Dan Harlow on No Banana's 33
- Ian White of Island Outfitters Charters 40 30 32 34 36.5
- Trevor Zboyvoski of No Banana's Charters 41 31 38
- Bard Holland on Ace of Kings Charters 46 Nicole Burkmar 40.5
- Desi Hatchard of Vicious Fish Charters 32 32 36 39
- Drew Hensen 36 Mike Graham 35
- Cory Lowe 34.5 Jayden Poland & Fred McCallum 31 31
- Asit Mazumber 35
- Stormriders/Scotty 42 Norm Patmore 32.5
- Troy Halliday of 360 Charters 30 30
- Bob Mathews on Ace of Kings Charters 39
- Charlie Holman 40 Mike Talarico 45.5
- Mary Dice 30 Glen Miller 38
- Al Marsden 30.5 Sandy Kent 42
- Art Moysychyn 41.5 Ian Bateson 30 31
Important Dates: Port Renfrew Marina is having our annual Labour Day Derby coming up. The dates are Sept. 5th and 6th. This event is very important to help raise money for the local Renfrew salmon hatchery. This will be our 12th year and tickets are still $50.00 a rod and includes a t-shirt, dinner, beverages, and a live band. Tickets will be available by next week at the marina. There is also a bullhead derby for children 12 and under with prizes and goodie bags. The marina is raffling a 9.9 HP APS outboard motor, 4 stroke all fittings exact to Yamaha. We also have 2 beach day salmon fishing charters for a date after Sept. 15th. These are being donated by Ian White of Island Outfitters and Trevor Zboyvoski of No Banana's. Win this and take some friends or family for a day of fun and fish. There will be many other prizes, raffles and auctions so don't miss a chance to have a good time and help a good cause.
Another big date is the Coho Derby on Oct. 3rd and 4th. This should be an exciting derby since the Coho are so prevalent already and growing every day. This is a winner take all derby and this year the entry fee is $25.00 with $5.00 of it going straight to the local hatchery. Check the site for previous years winners.
Please Note: Many of our customers arrive late in the night. If you are one of them please register the following morning and if you are just launching you can pay your launch at the front office door where we have a launch box for your convenience. Campfires are allowed at the marina.
Regarding Winter Storage: For anyone wanting to leave their unit for storage over the winter they must pay for the storage and or power in advance before we close for the season. Please come to the office and we can discuss this with you.
Bud & Rex