At Port Renfrew Marina the 4th annual Lake Cowichan Kinsmen Salmon Derby was held this past weekend. The derby is always a huge hit with everyone who attends and supports it. It was nice to see that Chinook fishing had improved and this year some of the winning fish were in the 30's.
- First Prize: Brian Paulson 35 lb 1 oz.
- Second Prize: Doug Parker 32 lb 1 oz
- Third Prize: Barry McGrade 27 lb 13 0z
- Fourth: Kirk Nelson 27 lb 4 oz
- Fifth: Wes Kelly 24 lb 10 oz
Here are some of the prizes won:
- Dwayne Issac - Wooden bench and Islander reel
- Steve & Cheryl White - RAW Charters
- Brad Fiege - Trophy reel
- Rick - Rigid saw
- Scott Sanders - Rod
- Len Smith - Amundson reel
- Brody Garnett - Gibbs tackle box
- Roadie - Camo jacket
- John Switzer - Tackle Box
These are a few of the many people who won prizes in this derby. Just too many to list! The derby went very well, with a great attendance, lots of nice sized fish being caught and great weather.
Up coming Event: Coming up in about 5 weeks Port Renfrew Marina will be having the 21st Labor Day Derby on Sept 1st and 2nd. This derby has many raffles, live and silent auctions, hidden weight and door prizes. There is a t-shirt , dinner with beverages and a live band all included. The Lake Cowichen Kinsmen will be doing the dinner again this year. Set that weekend aside and come enjoy a weekend of fishing and support the fundraiser for salmon enhancement.
Bud & Rex