Port Renfrew Marina has seen some fantastic salmon fishing since the last report. We have not had a sockeye opening since 2006 but this is turning into a banner year. Limit catches are being taken at first light for a couple of hours then it slows down a bit later in the day. Stack as much gear as close together as you dare. Pink or red hoochies, bare black hooks or spoons on a short leader and if using a flasher make it red. Best depth is 40 to 60 feet in 450 to 600 feet of water.
Chinook pressure has declined with most people chasing sockeye. Logan, Walbran and Camper are all giving up nice fish with many over 30 pounds.
Swiftsure Bank continues to be on fire for springs, coho and halibut. Listen on VHF channel 06 for the chatter of where the fish are biting. 6 inch spoons and plugs are the choice of most fishermen. Crabbing has started to slow down but if you are persistent a few good ones will come your way.
- Hugh Hamer 36
- Travis Gregson 36 40
- Gerry & Michelle Gammie 33 34
- George Colgrave 37
- Lucas Quigley 33
- Ron McGovern 42
- Is. Oufitters 127 72 hali & others
- Matt Regier & Joe Serpa 34, 26, 27, 22
- Murray Havens hali 59 49 82
- Ross MacKenzie 44
- Miller Sport Fishing days catch
- Charlie Kew 36
- Tony Tuba 32.5
- Terry Tobacco & Lance Foreman 34, 27. 26, 25
- John Murray 42
- Sept 4th & 5th Port Renfrew Marina Labour Day Derby
- All proceeds go to the local San Juan hatchery
- Oct. 2nd & 3rd. Port Renfrew Marina Coho Derby
- winner takes all
- Oct. 11th. Port Renfrew Marina closes.