Port Renfrew Marina August Chinook fishing has been much slower than we usually see. There are very short bite times and if you are there you will do well, if not you may come up short. It is difficult to predict the possible results as it varies so much each day and even after a few hours. The waterfall past Logan Creek seems to be the hot spot in the afternoons. Coyote spoons on a 48 inch leader have been working well as the bait for many fishermen.
Sockeye fishing remains strong with early a.m. producing multiple hook-ups. Pink hoochies and a large black open eye hook work best.
Halibut catches are still amazing for this time of year. Guides are anchoring on spots normally drifted over and are seeing great limit catches of fish in the 30 to 50 pound range.
Coho predictions are for a very good return though they haven't shown up in any big numbers yet.
- Mike Graves 50
- Mark Gagen 34 38
- Jared Gagen 34
- Kris Kadgien 33
- Wayne Schiffner 30
- Kerry Rawlick 32
- Ken Gillard 38
- Bob Biggs 30 32
- Gord McGeachy 38
- unknown 34
- Blair Houdayer 49 59 82 hali's
With another season winding down Port Renfrew Marina is having it's 13th annual Labor Day Derby this upcoming weekend on Sept.4th and 5th. This derby is to raise funds for the local San Juan Hatchery which is run basically with very devoted guys who without their ongoing efforts it is unclear how the hatchery would keep going. If you would like to support the effort get your ticket and enjoy the fishing, dinner and live band. First prize is $1000.00, 2nd prize is $500.00 and 3rd prize $250.00 with many other prizes, raffles and silent auction items. There is also a free bullhead derby for children under 12 with prizes for the most bullheads for a boy and girl.
We have three raffles on for this derby.
- A Broil King two in one SS. BBQ with rotisserie, storage cupboards, side burner and back burner. Value: 1500.00 Donated by: Langford Rona
- A Limited Edition Print "Fall Run" by Bruce Muir. Value: $500.00 Donated by: Lindsey (Cardin) Wilson, Rod & Nancy Cardin in Matthew Cardin's memory who worked at the San Juan Hatchery and was very passionate and devoted to the salmon enhancement cause.
- Two nights stay for four people at Country Cottage in Port Renfrew and a $100. certificate at the Port Renfrew General Store. Value: $380.00 Donated by: Port Renfrew General Store.
Dates to Note
- Port Renfrew Marina's Coho Derby Oct. 2nd and 3rd "Winner take all"
- Port Renfrew Marina closes Oct.11 th
Please make sure if you have a boat in storage or need to take a unit out for the winter that you are aware of the closing date, otherwise winter storage fees will apply. For those who want winter storage please make arrangements in the office.
Bud & Rex